Okay normally I don't do this, but it's that time of year, there are alot of parties and get togethers and I need people to understand something........
I don't get to enjoy big get togethers like most people. It is very stressfull!
The fact is that I feel that I have to keep my eye on Lora, because she is not like most typical children, she doesn't understand that she can't just go where she wants when she wants. She has left our house, left school, and left at other situations. This is pretty typical with children with Down syndrome, and I'm praying that she will grow out of it soon.
And when you invite us to a get together please don't use the excuse of there will be many people there to help. Yes I am sure there are, and I appreciate the offer but the reality is that when you have "many" people looking, and I let my guard down, and then I ask where Lora is and no one knows where Lora is because they thought someone else was watching her, and vice versa. Don't say it doesn't happen, beccause this has happened to us, thankfully we were able to finally find her. It only takes one time!
So please don't take offense if we decline an invitation or miss a party. My child's safety is my biggest priority. Please don't give me a guilt trip.
I feel safe at my house. There are safegaurds put in place for her protection. There is a chime as doors open. The fence surrounds the house. When I'm somewhere else, those safety features aren't in place, so I'm constantly having to know where she is. I feel safe at different places when there aren't alot of things going on, but parties and get togethers just don't work for us, especially if Jerime is not there to help me because of his weird hours.
Please don't judge me or feel I'm being too protective. This is my child, we teach her what is and isn't appropriate, but until I can feel that she understands, that is just how my life is.
Thank you for trying to understand our situation!
1 comment:
Hey girl!!
I just found your blog :-)
I don't know if you have Anna's blog here is www.annafinley.blogspot.com
Post a Comment