My Dad received 2 Olympic Track and Field Trials Tickets for Sunday, and so he called me up and offered them to me. I was through the roof excited! So Jer and I headed down there for a day of fun in the 90 degree heat. We parked at Autzen and walked the 15 min walk to Hayward Field, We made it through security, except Jer was hoping he'd get stopped so they'd pat him down (just kidding). The security was everywhere, Cops from all over and FBI, we even saw people perched on roof tops. So we picked up our tickets and found out we also had passes into the Hospitality Area, basically VIP passes that gave us access to all the FREE Food and Drink we could imagine (of course it's too bad that both Jer and I don't care for Beer or Wine, but oh well). We walked around the complex their were all sorts of different booths, all of this area was open to the public, only the stadium was blocked off for ticket holders, which I think is so cool. Man if we lived down there, I'd be down watching the live events on the Jumbotrons EVERYDAY! It was such a fun atmosphere; they even had an area for bands! So we made it inside to watch the first day of Decathlon events for the men. It was fun to watch the guys compete and Ashton Eaton was a hometown favorite that kept the crowd engaged! It was nice because there was time in between events and since there weren't alot of people there early, we decided to keep hitting up the Hospitality Area! Once the day's events really started to get going and people started to fill up the stadium, we got blocked in, there was not much room to move at all! Our seats were amazing though, only 14 rows up, and just a few sections back from the finish line, oh and in the shade helped too! The women's triple jump went on for over an hour, those poor girls, but man they could jump, it was the finals, so the top 3 go to the Olympics! The Men's 100m had their Semifinals earlier in the day, with the final as the last event. I LOVED watching the Men's Pole Vault Finals, of course it would've been better to watch the Women's, but that's okay! It was hard being so far away, but you could still see okay, but man it made me want to grab a pole and fly!!!!! The girls Discus Throw Finals came down to the last throw, at one point they had 2 girls throw out of bounds back to back in the same spot, taking out a decorative vinyl fence, it was so funny! I don't know if they do this always, but the officials for the Discus would put the Discs in the trailer of a little remote control car, and the car was manned by a girl on the side who would have the car take the discs back to the girls after they threw, it was too funny! The Men's Long Jump Finals were very EXCITING, on his final jump Trevell Quinley went from 3rd to 1st place. Then afterwards he went and thanked the crowd, then knelt down and prayed, so cool! Decathlete Ashton Eaton of Oregon and a student at U of O brought the crowd to their feet as he easily took his heat in the 400m, it was so awesome to hear them all cheering him on! Both the Men's and Women's 400m Hurdles had their finals. The Men's and Women's 400m had their quarterfinals, and we got to watch Jeremy Wariner easily win his heat. Then the day ended with Tyson Gay winning the Men's 100m Final with a World Record time of 9.68. It was sad though, because there was too much wind it won't count, but it was still pretty cool to watch him run twice! His coach is Jon Drummond, who I got to watch run when I was younger! It was an amazing day and I'm glad I could share my love of Track and Field with my husband. I asked Jer if he had fun and if he'd ever go again, he said heck ya! So here's a slideshow of just a FEW of my pics! I wish I would've brought my bigger lens, but it was on the do not bring list! Anybody else got tickets for this weekend they want to share! ha ha ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment