Thursday, November 27, 2008

The possibilites......

So this weekend I was at our Special Olympics State Competition. I won't go into how poorly it was ran this year, because it just makes me upset. Our athletes did well, but that is not the reason I am writing this blog, the reason why I'm writing is because a conversation I got to witness.

I'm sitting eating my Arby's Sandwich, which I just love their Turkey Sandwich, so good, however I never get the good chips, I always luck out and get plain, no cheetos EVER!
Back to enjoying my sandwich, I'm stuck away from my team because of how packed the stands were, so I began listening to 3 athletes in front of me. 2 of the young women had Down syndrome, so of course I was drawn to them. To hopefully make this story easier, I'll give them the names of Molly, Amy, Emma, and this is how they are sitting.

Molly leans over Amy and shows her eighth place ribbon to Emma,
Emma: wow, eighth place, that is so awesome
And they both ohh and ahh over the piece of ribbon, Meanwhile Amy (has Down syndrome) is busy texting on her phone, I was so shocked, I never thought of Lora texting, it was so cool.
Amy stops texting.
Amy: Are you going to the dance?
Molly: I don't know, you know last time I had a breakdown because of (says old boyfriends name)
Emma: But now you have (says new boyfriends name), and he's sooooo cute!
Molly: I know!

Of course the conversation continues on and honestly I wish I could've recorded it, it was so cute. But I'm still just blown away by the texting. I mean it's exciting, but just something I never thought Lora would/could do. But WHY NOT!!!!!

No comments: