Thursday, September 18, 2008

Staph SUCKS!

This morning Lora told Jer that she hurt her hand, he thought she pinched it in the Freezer door (she was trying to help get waffles). So he kissed it, he mentioned it to me when I woke up, but I forgot about it because she didn't complain, she did her normal routines (ate lunch) and said nothing. Out of sight out of mind. Well she goes to school at noon, everything was fine, then I got a call at 2:45pm from Dotty telling me that she was concerned about Lora's hand, that it looked like a pimple and that Lora wouldn't use the hand. But the reason she called was because Lora started to have a line going up her hand from it. She was sending her home right then on the bus, so I told her I'd call the Doc, but I wasn't too concerned. The Cr couldn't see us until 4:30, so I waited for Lora to get home. She was home just after 3, and when I saw her hand I freaked, it looked horrible and there was a very clear line going up her arm! I woke Jer and then called the Doc to tell them I was coming in right then, and if it was nothing we'd wait, but I wanted a nurse to look at it as soon as we got there. We arrived in record time, and they took us right back. We found out it was a Staph infection and most likely MERSA, which is VERY common and can be transmitted so easily and you'll never know. They had to lance it and it brought tears to my eyes, I felt so bad for my little girl. They gave her 2 shots because of how quick everything was happening. We wrapped it and then went home. I was told it was VERY contagious, so we washed EVERYTHING down, and wouldn't let her touch ANYTHING!!!!!! The next morning it was a movie marathon, we watched Mulan and Mulan 2 ALL DAY LONG, but I wanted to keep her down and not touch anything, plus I need to keep packing it with heat packs, as well as keep Cal away! We went back in later that day to have it rechecked, and things were looking better. They did need to lance it one more time, this time Cal was with us, so I took her out to the lobby, poor Cal could her Lora all the way out there and she wanted to help her Sissy! They gave us oral antibiotics, and on the way home we stopped by starbucks and when they saw her they felt bad so they gave her free chocolate milk as well as a brownie, I thought that was so nice. Things were finally on the mend. Here is a pic from the first day and you can see the line going up her arm!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: