Tuesday, September 16, 2008

How does your garden grow!

Well this is my first time EVER attempting to have a garden! What you might say, but I thought you were a farm girl, that is right, I am a farm girl, but we never had a garden. When we wanted vegetables, we'd go to the neighbors who were growing it and get it. Simple as that, I mean you've got fields all around or Corn, Broccoli, Beans, Cukes, whatever your heart desires! I have to admit I was SUPER scared, but determined! You see, I kill all living plants that I come into contact with, no matter how hard I try! But my garden was a success, the only problem was I think I planted my corn too close together, but other than that, I produced a TON of zucchini, I gave a bunch away to neighbors, made zucchini bread (and froze too many to count) and of course fried it up, and even got our cousin Kevin liking his veggies! I produced a good crop of beans, enough to have fresh beans for dinner, not enough to can (that is where I go out to my farmer friends and get hooked up) Carrots that I was able to use in soups, they were a little short and fat, but I tried! I couldn't keep Cal away from all my Peas, she LOVED eating them raw! That is actually all I ever did with them! My cukes were started a little late and they were shaded by the ENORMOUS zucchini bushes, but they still managed to produce some. Watermelons were started a hair late too, so they really started to come in at the end of August, and even though it was warm, it just wasn't enough time before the colder weather came in. But I was able to salvage at least one that was fully ripe! My corn didn't produce big ears which was a bummer, next year I will try planting them farther apart.

All in all I produced a good harvest, it exceeded what I expected by leaps and bounds! It was funny I started some in little start boxes then transplanted, and then when I planted the little plants I planted some seeds in the next row so I'd have a stager harvest time, but I was wrong, the seeds did better and grew faster than the transplants. Weird!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: